The Szekler-Magyar Runic Scripts



  Short history of the Magyar Runic Scripts:


     The most disputed point of the Hungarian culture's past is, that, if our forefathers have had any kind of a writing 

skill of their own. Day by day is proven that our ancestors arrived to the Carpathian Basin as a nation with the 

knowledge of writing. Most of the elements of the runic scripts were acquired by the Magyars on the eastern lands 

where they used to rest before the conquest. The shape of the letters were mainly influenced by the fact that the 

row was heading from right to left. They used the vowels very rarely and when they did they did it only for the 

long ones. This shows the relation to the Arabic style (Semite writing family...). The Turks extended their empire 

to the Black Sea, where new nations formed with their lands: the Kaganat Kazaks and the Western Turks. The 

two (1. & 2.) drawings bellow show us two Turkish runic scripts:


fig. 1

fig. 2


 

     The words "ír (to write)" and "betű (letter)" are of Turkish origin and tell us a lot about the Magyar runic 

scripts.  Hopefully the, these days excavations at Etelköz, Transylvania will prove that our ancestors didn't forget 

the letters brought from the Kazaks. As later became to our knowledge, in the Carpathian Basin the Avars used 

one type of a runic script, which alphabet, after the two most significant memories, we call the runic scripts from 

Nagyszentmiklós, Transylvania and Szarvas, Transylvania. We also know that this writing style is part of the 

Eastern-European writing families, of which, more and more memories appear from the ancient Kazak Empire's 

land. There were found objects at Homokmégy-Halom, Hungary from the times of the conqueror Magyars, that 

show the same type of Eastern-European writing style. In spite of all these there are still a few missing links that 

would bind the Magyar Runic Scripts with the late Avar era and other Eastern-European memories. These missing 

links will hopefully appear in the near future... However, maybe we should look for these links between those 

brick-marks that are to be found on our churches (built around the 11th-12th. centuries...) walls. "I doubt - says 

Németh Gyula - that if this writing skill's so precious part existed at one of the Magyar tribes the others didn't 

know of its existence! The Szekler writing style is a generally used writing skill between the pagan Magyars, which 

was destroyed by the Christianity, but remained between the separately and independent organized Szeklers." 

Since the runic scripts were kept up between the Szeklers in Transylvania, we call it the Szekler Runic Scripts! 

     Our writing's four letters "a" "e" "o" and " f " for sure, and the two " h " and " l " probably with Slavic intervention

is attribute to the Greek alphabet. The fact that the " f " and " h " letters" sign got into the Hungarian language refers 

to languages that originally didn't have them. Such languages were the Slavic and the Magyar. Long ago the words 

"fehér (white)" was "fejér". So for example Székesfehérvár, Hungary used to be only Fejérvár. The "a", "e" and 

"o" vowels' signs were probably loaned, because the original writing style had an other type of system for marking 

the vowels, or had vowels that were a lot different from the loaned ones. 

     The connection between the "s" and " l " signs, in the Hungarian writing is very significant. As it appears, the "s" 

sign is coming from the Greek lambda, and the " l " being formed with two dashes added to the "s" sign (more 

exactly with pointing). The "r" sign is a lot simple and the "z" sign is the added dash to the "r". The "ny" is clearly the 

combination of the "n" and "j" signs. All this refers to the writing's inside history. 

     The Magyar Runic Script significantly changed between the 10th. and 15th. centuries. First got into connection 

with the Slavic then with the Latin languages. Our writing's cavalry begun with Christianity. However, the Latin 

language and its writing style got pressed into the Hungarian only after the Magyars got Christianized. Christians 

begun to hunt the old pagan writing style. This way the Runic Scripts were pushed behind and begun to decline. 

We know of orders from Vatican, that said: "...the old Magyar letters (signs) that were running from right to left, 

used by the Huns, Szeklers and Magyars, must be changed into Latin!...; ...the priests are not allowed to teach the 

pagan writing, otherwise they will be punished...; ...the in pagan style wrote inscriptions must be destroyed'..." 

     The runic scripts only survived as secret writing, which in fact developed, cause, after all the Latin writing style's 

influence formed the contracted signs. Such an example would be the Latin word "saint (szent in Hungarian...)", 

which short form happens to be the "st", that in the runic scripts formed from the contraction of the "s" and " t " 

signs. The same happened with the "nd", "ck", ...etc. signs. 

     New flourishing times came along into the runic scripts at the beginning of Renaissance and Humanitarian ages, 

when in noble courts was used for secret letters and other time-spending issues. And perhaps they supplemented 

the alphabet, which now gives us all a hard time to restore its original form and the exact orthography. With the 

ending of the Renaissance era, the newly powerful Roman-Catholic church and its conservative leaders slowly 

pushed our ancestors writing style entirely behind us. The Runic Scripts were kept up for the longest period of 

time, until the 17th. century, by the Szeklers in Transylvania. 


     The above document shows the Runic Scripts official history, however there are specialist who affirm that the 

Magyar Runic Scripts aren't going back only to the Turks, but all the way to ancient times, to thousands of years 

from now! This theory isn't fictitious either, as Forrai Sándor  proves in the June 6th. issue of the Hungarian Forum.

The next lines are his words: 

     "By the 1100th. anniversary of the country's reoccupation, in the radios, TVs., newspapers, scientific 

discussions, were shown unreal facts about our ancient history. They mention only of conquering as before our 

leader Árpád's coming, never lived related nations to the Magyars or their language speaking people, and they 

mention our chronics as legends, however even by the chronics, Árpád's Magyars came 'back' to the Carpathian 

Basin since they've been called. It is about time to put an end to those Bach-era type of lies, that were serving only 

Austrian interests: that Árpád's Magyars were uncivilized and uncultured nomads without any writing skills that ate 

soften meat from under the saddle, and that they hadn't any clue about fear either. They overwhelmed the west 

with such lies, and they thought it in the schools, from generations to generations, to blind everyone. The truth is 

that the Hungarians have such an old writing that is in very tight connection with several ancient writing styles. 

When, in the Carpathian Basin and especially in Transylvania, there were found literary remnants they cleared it up 

as they are only about loaned scripts from the Turkish Runic Scripts, and that we have never had ancient writing 

skills. Hunfalvi Pál, major librarian at that time at the Academy, called the remnants nothing more than a 

conspiracy. In spite of this, in 1994 I published my works about the Magyar Runic Scripts, with the help of 

Antológia (Anthology) Publishers, as titled: The ancient Magyar Runic Scripts from the ancient times 'till nowadays.

In this book I prove that the history of writing skills has two cradles: with the importance from Mesopotamia and 

from the Carpathian Basin." 

     The Carpathian Basin's ancient writing culture has a significant role in the history of writings, especially the 

ancient writing memories from Tordos and Tatárlaka of Transylvania. In 1961, the archeologist N. Vlassa of 

Cluj/Kolozsvár, Transylvania found at Tatárlaka, in the bottom of a pit full of ashes, 26 small statues made of clay, 

2 stone figures, one bracelet of conch, 2 clay boards with drawings on them, and a disc with hieroglyphics. Vlassa 

realized that the signs are very similar to the Sumerians  hieroglyphics from the end of the 4th. millennium BC. 

The founds raised a significant appearance all over the world because the C14 radio-carbon examination the signs 

are about 6500 years old, which makes them barely 1000 years younger than the Sumerian writings that were 

found in the Mesopotamian city of Uruk. The examination showed that the disc was made of local sand and clay, 

than cooked (baked or burned out...) after the marks were engraved on it. Makkay János, Hungarian archeologist 

engaged himself to this matter, individually. 



fig. 3


     The disc's surface is separated into four meadows by two vertical and one horizontal diagonals, and each meadow has its own separate signs... The disc, with its diagonals, represents one of the Magyar Runic Script's 

" F " sign, which is identical with the ancient form of the "turning day"... It is remarkable the fact that six of on the 

partially to 4 parts separated disc's surface existing 10 signs, are sharply identical with the Magyar Runic Script's 

signs. These are the: " Z, Ny, Gy, B ", above these, in lying position, the " P ", and the ring is the modified form of 

our runic script's " Ly " sign. These signs are also found in the Sumerian hieroglyphics. The double cross is the 

Hungarian " Gy ", which in our coat of arm is the initial of the "Gyula" tribe. In the Sumerian coat of arm, the 

scepter is the sign of the wooden scepter of the empire; its meaning is " Pa ". The two coat of arms representation, 

or historical meaning aren't identical by accident. 

     The other important evidences of from the Carpathian Basin runic scripts are the by Torma Zsófia found pottery pieces and clay discs, in 1857, 20Km from Tatárlaka near Tordos, Transylvania. These discs and pottery 

pieces (tiles) consist of approximately 11000 pieces and are 4500 years old. They contain different figures and 

mostly signs of writing skill, such as runic scripts and linear scripts. Between these we can find runic signs of letters 

and numbers, such as the ones found in Tatárlaka, of which more then 10 are identical even by shape with the 

Magyar Runic Script's signs. Such signs as the ones from Tordos, Transylvania were found in the Balkan peninsula, 

too, in Kara-novo, Sitovo, Vinca, Gardisinca,... These founds are the straight continuity of the writing culture 

found in Tordos, Transylvania. Lots of famous historians and archeologists being occupied with the matter, also, 

getting to the same results linking to Crete and Mesopotamia. 

     The other cradle of the writings formation is the ancient Mid-East Mesopotamian writing. The Magyar Runic 

Script is part of the writing style that evolved from the Egyptian and the Mesopotamian Sumerian hieroglyphics. 

The garden of Eden - Ninive, founded by Nimrod the great hunter - is the scene of many biblical events. The 

Sumerians were the firsts that established their continuous thoughts from hieroglyphics into compositions. They 

expressed their various abstract concepts, inflections and feelings with ideograms. Since the Sumerian was a 

conjugative language, just like the Hungarian, they expressed their suffixes with syllables, that already had the 

corresponding vowels, too. From these evolved the runic scripts, then the character writing of which the standing 

cross alone in the Magyar Runic has the same meaning with the " D ". The " H " letter evolved from the 

hieroglyphic fish which happens to be the same in the Hungarian, too. Its meaning in the Sumerian is " ha " which 

is similar to the Hungarian "hal (fish)". 

     The Sumerian hieroglyphics extended equally to the west and east... Towards the west the Egyptian 

hieroglyphics appeared approximately 4800 years ago because of Sumerian influence, borrowing its inner structure 

with the difference that the vowels were missing from the syllables. All these hieroglyphs weren't anything else then 

grouped consonants... The Egyptian hieroglyphic writing, at first, was only for the priests, who systematically 

engraved the saint signs into stones. The kings and pharaohs names were written into frames. (fig. 4) 

fig. 4


     By the English explorer Campbell, one of the hieroglyphs on the church's wall from the city of Karnack, says: 

At the time of pharaoh Thotmes the 3rd.'s reign on this territory were living the "Maghors", too, who fought along 

with the "Hettitas". As evidence mentions the cities Arad, Árpád and Maghar. By Campbell, under the name 

"Maghor" we shall understand Magyar, perhaps "Magyars of Sabir". This period goes back to 1500 B.C. when 

the Phoenicians developed the runic scripts (the first letter writing...) from the Egyptian grouped consonants. In 

1914 the orientalist Galánthay Tivadar shows in tables that the runic scripts evolved from Egypt with special 

consideration of the links between the Egyptian and Phoenician runic scripts to the Magyar... Especially the fact 

that, from all types of runic scripts, the Magyar is the closest to the Phoenician (50%), which proves that by the 

Sabir Magyars our nation was there from the very beginning. 

     Here are some examples that show the connection between the Egyptian and the Magyar Runic Scripts: " B " 

broken and crossed stick, the sign of judgment, in the Magyar meant "breaking the stick above somebody's head" 

(idiom still existent in the Hungarian language...). The ruling stick (scepter), is one of the " J " sign of our runic script.

The tress is our runic script's " H " sign. The standing watering pipe is our script's " CS " sign. The sign for hurry, to 

walk is our script's " S " sign. The ring with a dot is the " RE ", the goddess of Sun is our script's " LY " 

transformed sign. " I " is the same in the Magyar, too... 

     "In my book I show in separate tables the connection between the Magyar Runic Script and the ancient civilizations' writing system. We can't show how it spread, but we can give you few examples of statistical data 

such as: with the Magyar Runic Scripts there are 24 identical signs in the Phoenician, 21 in the Etruscan, 19 in the Egyptian, 18 in the Sumerian, 17 in the Turk. With the help of logically grouped lines the Magyar Runic Scripts 

evolved a such a unique script system from the Phoenician basic scripts that contained separate sign for our every 

sound. (fig. 6) In (fig. 5) we'll show you its deduction from the vertical " SZ " sign and its bent transformation to 

" N ". 

fig. 5


     And at the end I have to refer to the fact that our ancient writing being kept by us until today, of which the 

proofs are those expositions of runic scripts, throughout the country, in which guest-books we find signatures made 

in runic scriptures." - says Forrai Sándor. 

fig. 6


Important memories of the Magyar Runic Scripts

  The golden treasure of Nagyszentmiklós:

     It happened in 1799 when this noble man's serf, in Nagyszentmiklós, Hungary while digging a trench found 

some gold treasure of unique value. From the 23 pots, one had Greek writings, one of Turkish language, 14 pieces 

contain runic scripts, and 8 left empty. 

     Lots of linguists dealt with solving of the runic scripts. By Csallány Dezső's opinion the runic scripts are 

originated from the Coc-Turks' alphabet, and lots of their signs relation is shown with the Szekler Runic Scripts. 

     Establishments of Győrffy György are: the treasure from Nagyszentmiklós is the legacy of the nomadic Turk 

state and its runic scripts language we have to look up in the in Hungary spoken languages from the time of kings of 

Árpád house. 


     This script is found on the treasures 5 pots. Its explanation and reading by Csallány Dezső is the following: 

Sunadians are them = part of the gifts of the Csanád tribe. 

  The inscription from Constantinople:

     The scene of the scripted memory is the messengers palace in Istanbul. The messengers of Ulaszló were held 

back in Istanbul by the sultan Salim the 2nd. Székely Tamás, one of the messengers, engraved a message about 

their fate on the messengers' house barn's outside wall. The messengers house was burned to the ground in 1865, 

and the inscription destroyed with it. However we are lucky that in 1553, Dernshwam János, who happened to be 

there, copied the whole inscription, saving the whole script from perishing. 

fig. 7


     The inscription is as follows: 

     "This was written in fifteen-hundred and fifteen. King László's five messengers were held back in here. Bilaji 

Barlabás was here for two years, so far. Székel Tamás wrote that the Turk emperor Selim just trotted in here with 

one hundred horses." (fig. 7 is the inscription's first part) 

  The alphabet from Nicholsburg: 

     All we can do is to guess how did the Szekler alphabet ended up in the Dietrichstein dukes library inside the to 

the Austrian empire belonged castle of Nicholsburg. In 1930, the dukes library been sold in Switzerland. The 

incunabulum that contains the Szekler alphabet on its back cover, was bought by the Széchényi National Library at 

the auction in Hazer. The parchment (fig. 8) contains the following text: "here is the Szekler alphabet that by the 

Latin text 'Literae Siculorum', contains 47 letters." 

fig. 8


  The calendar from Marsigli (Marsigli type of calendar):

     Nobody ever found the original piece, but thanks to Luigi Ferdinando Marsigli (1658-1730) Italian commander 

who made a copy of it for later times. Marsigli, as commander of the imperial army, took part in Buda's (Hungary) 

recapturing, from where than he was moved into Transylvania where he found an approximately 1.5 meter long 

wooden stick containing name-days and to dates connected religious feasts engraved into its four sides. He copied 

the scripts onto nine sheets and solved them with the help of an old man. Than later Marsigli went to Bologna 

where the calendar was found, too. The scripts show us that the original piece must have been made around 1450. 

  The inscription on a church from Énlaka, Transylvania:

     The runic inscription that dates back to 1688 (fig. 9) was found in the 19th. century by the describer of the 

Szekler land Orbán Balázs. The inscription is found on the Unitarian church's baldachin's plank near Udvarhely, 

Transylvania. The text's solving is as follows: Georgyius Musnai - God is only one. 

fig. 9


  The inscription on a brick in Székelyderzsi:


     Before the brick of the small Unitarian church being destroyed in a fire, the following inscription was engraved 

on it by the maker: Miklós organist 

  The inscription from Gelence, Transylvania:

     The following inscription being scratched onto the Roman-Catholic church's fresco: priest Pál 

     Memories of runic scripts were also found in the following Szekler villages. The scripts deciphers were 

published in the 'História' newspaper in 1996 and 1997. 

  1. The inscription from the reformed church of Bonyha, Transylvania:

     Bonyha is a large village situated by the lower course of the Kis-Küküllő river. The stone that covers the runic 

scripts was turned up in 1965 when the church's southern wall being reconstructed. The engraved scripts were 

discovered by priest Benczédi Albert, that's why he decided to place the from under the ground discovered 

significant stone, into the from the tower counted second support pillar. The stone is at a very visible place even 

today, approximately 2 meters above the ground. Though nobody knows exactly when did that stone end up 

under ground, we can be sure that it happened before 1794, because in 1794 the church's most southern wall was 

demolished and moved even more to the south. And the scripts couldn't been engraved in 1794 either because 

than the stone wouldn't get 2 meters under ground into the foundation. But we know that the original church's 

construction ended sometimes in 1327. The village Bonyha is already mentioned in the papal decadal notes since 

1332. 


     Our guess is that the script's could have been engraved on the stone sometime around the 14th. century, the 

15th. century isn't excluded either. Csallány Dezső also puts its origin to this date. The total reading of the 

inscription still belongs to the scientists, however it is very possible that the inscription isn't the Magyar kind and 

most likely belongs to another language. By any means we could connect the " SZ (or R), P, PT " and the legged 

" S " letters in the inscription's left side to the Szekler Runic Scripts. The upper right corner's two signs 

correspondents were found in the Mesopotamian Runic Scripts, but we also have to think of the classic "delta" 

letter of the Greek alphabet. 

  2. Runic scripts of the reformed church from Berekeresztúr, Transylvania:

     The first news about the church's runic scripts from Berekeresztúr (village by the Nyárád/Niraj river...) were 

published in 1992 in the newspaper "Népújság" Marosvásárhely/Tg-Mures. 

  a) The first inscription is found in the church's first level in the with loopholes provided partitions at the left side of 

the opening. It is consisted of four scripts and its reading is happening from right to left: BALG, which is equivalent 

with the family name BALoG. It's origin kicks back to 1580, and the reading seams to be just as right as the date. 

There are also Latin and Hungarian inscriptions seen here...


  b) Also in the with loopholes provided window partition, under the already mentioned inscription, is another script. 


     Its reading also happens from right to left and its solving is as follows: B.T. PALR which is equivalent with 

PALéR (foreman builder). So, the construction worker, or the foreman builder immortalized his name and 

occupation. 

  c) In the fall of 1995 new inscriptions of runic scripts were published from Berekeresztúr. This time there were 

found irregular letters on the second level of the church-tower's northern window partition. The scripts were 

engraved with a very sharp tool on a rectangular stone. 


     There are some unusual or unknown contracted letters along with the ones we know. We have to think again 

just like in the case of the memories from Bonyha, - that the inscription is not part of the Magyar Runic Script, but 

of some other language,... - or could also mean that there wasn't just one type of a runic alphabet in Transylvania?! 

On the other hand, on the stone, there were 15 scripts separated. We are aware that the engravings are very old, 

so at the time of the tower's construction the stone with the script was placed there as a piece already been used 

somewhere before. The church itself was built in 1385. 

  3. The runic scripted rafter from Kibéd, Transylvania:

     The inscription survived on a gunpowder support and originates from the 17th. century, or from the beginning of 

the 18th. century. 


     Contains three scratched scripts: two of them are placed in the upper sun-disc, and are the " A (Á) " and " T " 

letters. The third letter is the " P " which is to be found next to the sun-disc. This third letter was placed, by the 

engraver, vertically on the rafter's neck. These scripts from the sun-disc could be monograms, and the " P " could 

be the initial for an object since the people of Kibéd used to call this object as "porszarú, portartó (gunpowder 

support)" throughout centuries. 

  4. The inscription on the wooden cup from Szolokma, Transylvania:

     The inscription comes from the end of the 17t. century or from the beginning of the 18th. century, scratched on 

a turned utensil. So far it is kept in the ethnographic museum in Budapest, Hungary. 


     There are three signs on the wooden cup's lower part, on the handle's upper lateral face. The inscription is to be 

read from right to left, and says: VSB, which is equivalent with the family name "VaS from VS"; and the first name's 

initial " B " that could be "Béla, Balázs etc..." 

 

  5. The reformed church's written atone from Erdőszentgyörgy, Transylvania:

     The inscription with the stone is built into the church's north-western support pillar. By special literature "...the 

tower was built at the restorations in the thirties of the 18th. century." 


     We don't have a reading for the scripts, yet... 

  6. The two signs on a canteen from Makfalva, Transylvania:

     These two scripts are: the " T " and " R " and are originally from around the mid 19th. century. 


     The " T " sign is facing to the right which means that needs to be read from left. The scripts are probably 

monograms. However there is another important script from Makfalva, from 1624 originated manuscript. 

  7. The into the barn's frame engraved runic scripts from Vadasd, Transylvania:

     We were able to to solve two Hungarian monograms (Latin letters...). By the actual farmer's recall the " CS, K " 

letters covering the name: Császár Károly, who used to be his father's servant. The " T and J " letters are the 

servant's friend Tóth János's monograms. The actual barn was built in 1920 and the servants from back then 

frequently used to say that the scratched marks are of ancient runic scripts. So they probably still remembered the 

original "Szekler alphabet". They wrote their monograms on these old scripts. It is very likely that the barn's frame's 

board is from the barn that existed before the actual one, and got reused in the new one. We put the runic scripts 

origin to the mid. 19th. century. 


  8. The inscription from Homoródkarácsonyfalva, Transylvania:

     It was discovered at the time of one of the church's renovation, and it is known from earlier times. However, 

even today it is still a unknown runic script, cause the stone that has the inscription, was built into the in late gothic 

style (1496) constructed church in a way that the scripts on the stone facing upside down. It is understandable that 

even the researchers dated the scripts to that time. By now it is certain that the stone was part of an old demolished 

Roman styled gate and was built into the church's tower only at its remodeling. By conclusion the scripts were 

engraved on the stone sometime around the 13th. century. 

The inscription from Homoródkarácsonyfalva


     From about the same time is originated the inscription that was found in 1994 at the place of a demolished 

medieval church in Vargyas, Transylvania. The scripts were engraved on the side of an archaically shaped 

baptizing bowl around the 13th.-14th. centuries... The inscription's reading is as follows: MiHáLyJ:iRTánKöVeT. 

     Between the years of 1993 and 1995 was found the monumental inscription of the reformed church from 

Székelydálya, Transylvania. The 9 meter long and 9 to 22 cm. tall letters were scratched into the nave's medieval 

roughcast. The long and in many parts damaged inscription's solving is the future's duty. The script's discovering 

shows that a medieval roughcasting could hide remarkable things even if they aren't painted. The inscription 

supposedly originates from around the year 1400, cause that's when the church been renovated and the nave's 

decoration with wall-paintings from in- and outside. 

Runic inscriptions in the church from Székelydálya


     Mixed runic inscriptions were found in two places in Maros/Mures county, Transylvania. The one from Csejd is 

originated from 1681. The one from Bodrok that covers a name by the letter " D " was engraved into the lintel with 

the Szekler Runic Script. 


     Today it is found at the entrance of the reformed church. 

     Also mixed runic inscriptions were found in Berekeresztúr, Transylvania too. Our first drawing contains the 

"HIic Fuit" inscription... The last letter is identical with the runic script's " T " sign. The second drawing's second and fourth signs are the " I " and " M ". The third drawing's second sign is also " I ". In the last two inscriptions some 

signs show their strong runic script character. They are read as: "Hic Fui" and "Hic Fuit". The first three inscription's 

origin is known for sure: 1619. The last two inscription's origin also belongs to the beginning of the 17th. century. 


     Some notifications have to be made though before we close our essay:

  1. The bibliography so far frequently mentioned that the runic memories are mostly originated from Udvarhelyszék, 

Transylvania. But this prejudice belongs to the past. In Maros/Mures county, Transylvania, mostly in Marosszék of 

that time, more then ten runic inscription memories were found in eight localities. 

  2. From our above establishment logically follows the conclusion that the runic scripts knowledge at its time was 

far more extensive. Perhaps the famous Turkologists, such as Németh Gyula will have right... Who believed that the 

"Szekler writing" is generally Magyar, so could have also been known by other Magyar conqueror tribes. 

  3. The memories origin from Maros county goes back from the 20th to the 14th. century. By our perception the 

writings were functioning continuously throughout centuries. It wasn't thought in schools but being kept up by 

traditions and folkloric practices. And that's how it was inherited by us, just like the way we inherited nation's 

beautiful fairy tales, legends, popular poetries etc... 

  4. By representing the runic memories we already referred to the fact that it isn't excluded the knowledge of more 

than one runic alphabet. Our conqueror ancestors' multi-linguistic knowledge is a known fact, but its proof still 

requires further researches... 

  5. In Maros/Mures county's runic memories there are inscriptions about objects, too, which have a very large 

significance. We agree with Harmatta Jozsef's opinion: "...the Turk runic script's spread, use and role, in every day 

life, can only be explained with the inscriptions of objects...". 

     We trust that the researches from now on will pay more attention to the worlds object matters. "We have to 

collect everything" - as we would say together with the poet and writer Kányádi Sándor. We know very well that 

the nation that forgets its past, or fakes that, can't have claim for the next-coming centuries. 

  Essay by Benkő Elek and Ráduly János. 

  The runic numbers:

     The Magyars didn't just have their own runic scripts for letters, but for numbers, too. 

     In Hungary, the ranch-men, the herdsmen, the shepherds and the swineherds counted their stock with the help 

of the runic sticks until the end of the 19th. century. They burned their master's name on the wooden stick than they 

engraved on underneath it the actual number of animals driven out to the pasture. On the stick the shepherds' figures 

were running from right to left. Carriers also used runic sticks pretty frequently, because made easier for them to 

keep their loads in count. 

     All over the world, the runic stick was mainly used for memories or for keeping record of loaned goods. They 

engraved the corresponding signs onto the runic stick than cut it in two halves, in length, of which one half was 

kept by the loaner, and the other half given to the borrower. This way the stick excluded any type of changes to be 

by either side. This way fights between loaner and borrower were prevented. 

     The signs of numbers are going back to the most ancient times, when for calculations, people had only their 

fingers. The first four numbers mark the hand's fingers, number five originally booked as follows for the five fingers: 

" IIIIV ", of which, after all remained the " V ". 

     Number ten " X " came out from the crossing of both hand's thumbs, and originally looked as such: " IIIIXIIII ". 

     In generally, the runic writing was well known between the Magyars, lived deep inside the nation's 

consciousness which also seems to be proven by the old proverbs. The following idioms may also be a good proof 

for that: 

  "Lies on stick" - it is said about the one that lies without care. In the old times, probably some of the laws, that 

were controlling the public, were written with runic scripts. 

  "Has a lot on his stick" - The person who is called such way, means that owes a lot to others, and that he is the 

owner of lots of bad acts and many lies. Here, perhaps we should drag back the idiom's origin to, on the stick 

engraved but not paid off debts... 

  "Talks on stick" - Is the one who talks bad (lies...), the one who is looking for arguments, a person who seeks for 

trouble. The idiom also quotes the era when people didn't write on paper yet, but engraved on sticks. 

  "I won't drink on anyone's faith" - I won't drink on anyone's pity, so I won't write my own debt on anyone's 

stick! - folk song... 

     The specified memories' and examples' multitude proves that we have an ancient writing, and that we Magyars 

didn't arrive into the Carpathian Basin like some kind of barbarian horde, as many believe so and/or try to convince 

others too, about their false judgment and poor knowledge. 

     The runic script being used by us since ancient times, and we managed to save it through medieval times until 

today. And we should do everything to make sure that our ancient culture's last bastion won't be forgotten and 

won't fall into ruins over the 21st. century either. 

     Now I am going to say "Good bye!" to the reader with Fadrusz János's words: 

     "I look into the future with the eyes of prophecy... How perspective! I see those times coming when in the 

schools, our ancestors' alphabet will be thought to our children. Our masters will renovate the Hungarian style of 

architecture and then up front on the public buildings we'll read their regulation with runic scripts... The strangers 

will see our ancestors most characteristic handwriting. And every Hungarian will proudly show to strangers about 

the runic scripts, and explain to them with excitement that our ancestors used these signs for writing, throughout 

millenniums! And this was and is ours' We maintained and we'll maintain it forever as Magyar (Hungarian) for 

ourselves..." 

  Some significant geographical place-names about our runic scripts:

1) Bologna (Italy)

2) Nicholsburg (Czech Republic)

3) Constantinople (Turkey)

4) Nagyszentmiklós (Hungary)

5) Margit Island (Hungary)

6) Szarvas (Hungary)

7) Homokmégy-Halom (Hungary)

8) Felsőszemeréd  

9) Tordas (Transylvania)

10) Tatárlaka (Transylvania)

Szekler land:

11) Bögöz (Transylvania)

12) Énlaka (Transylvania)

13) Dálnok (Transylvania)

14) Gelence (Transylvania)

15) Székelyderzs (Transylvania)

16) Székelydálya (Transylvania)

17) Homoródkarácsonyfalva (Transylvania)

18) Vargyas (Transylvania)

19) Kilyén (Transylvania)

20 Csíkszentmiklós (Transylvania)

21) Bonyha (Transylvania)

22) Berekeresztúr (Transylvania)

23) Kibéd (Transylvania)

24) Szolokma (Transylvania)

25) Erdőszentgyörgy (Transylvania)

26) Makfalva (Transylvania)

27) Vadasd (Transylvania)

28) Csejd (Transylvania)

29) Csíkszentmárton (Transylvania)

30) Csíkszentmihály (Transylvania)


  The by us spread runic characters:



     The text by the given sources was written, matched and edited by: 



  Sources:

     - Ruffy Péter: Bujdosó nyelvemlékeink, Móra Ferenc Könyvkiadó, 1977.

     - Kéki Béla: Az írás története, Gondolat Könyvkiadó, 1971.

     - Magyar Fórum hetilap.

     - Magyar Út Alapítvány.

     - Sebestyén Gyula: A magyar rovásírás hiteles emlékei, Akadémia, 1915.

     - Varga Domokos: A mogyeriektől mohácsig, Tankönyvkiadó, Budapest, 1992.

     - Csorba Csaba: Árpád jöve magyar néppel, Helikon Könyvkiadó, 1996.

     - História történalmi folyóirat, 1996 és 1997.

     - A honfoglaló magyarság.